Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Why I have changed my mind about expectations

“Expectations are the root of all heartache” ~William Shakespeare

All the many times I have heard that and began to believe its truth. Except I have usually heard expectations are the root of disappointment, but whatevs. Same thing. Have you heard that before? Pretty sure I tweeted that quote not even maybe a month ago. I got to a point in my life the past few years where I stopped expecting things from anyone, especially when it came to relationships. I began to believe that saying, and think about how truly valid it was. I 100% believed it. Frankly, I expected my entire life at 23 to be a complete 180 of where I am currently.

I stopped expecting help from anyone. I stopped expecting honesty from anyone. I stopped expecting courtesy, loyalty, manners and committment from anyone. I stopped expecting a gentleman, and prepared myself for an ass hole. I stopped expecting a date, walk to the door, or pulling my chair out and just opened that door before they even could. I stopped expecting honesty and prepped for the lie. Because like the saying goes, expecting something like that will only lead to disappointments. Didn't you know? 

Well I found out recently I was wrong about that entire mind set, and so are you William Shakespeare. At least from my perspective now he's wrong. Not dissing on a remarkable legend if you're a shakespeare fan, but okay moving on. God really has been speaking to me about expectations and come to find out, I had it all twisted. I was wrong to not expect anything. All the things I listed above are all something I actually SHOULD expect. I use to be so discouraged when it came to relationships and thought there wasn't anyone out there who would treat me right, because frankly I have yet to see it. Welp, I found out I was once again.. wrong. I have a God that pursues me daily. That is honest to me daily. That listens to me daily. That loves me daily. That is loyal to me daily. I have a God that shows me EXACTLY what I should expect from someone one day here on earth. How awesome is that? Not only that, but I can expect to get through a bad day. I can expect that "this too shall pass". I can expect better things to come in all aspects of life. 

So, heres my advice. EXPECT the things you should expect and also want. But also expect that you can't get these things without giving it in return. A queen needs to be treated like a queen, as well as king does. Don't get disappointed when that guy doesn't call you back, because theres someone who will one day. Don't get disappointed when a date goes terrible because he wasn't mannerly, didn't offer to pay, or open doors for you... because someone else will. Don't get disappointed when a guy is disrespectful or rude to you... because someone else WONT. One of the keys to happiness is letting each situation just be what it is and not what it should be. Don't think about it so much. Instead be surprised when it does happen, and not disappointed when it doesnt. Thats the beautiful thing about it, someone else will do exactly what doesn't disappoint you. I know its hard, trust me, I've been there.. too many times. But I've now got to a point where what happens happens, and if its not what I want, then what I want will be coming shortly. And until that person comes along, there is God that is there for me anywhere, anytime, and always 'will'.  Trust in him, and let him handle all your expectations. 

He is preparing someone great, and you can expect that to happen. 

Jeremiah 29:11 - For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

Proverbs 23:18 - For surely there is an end; and thine expectation shall not be cut off.

Psalms 62:5 - My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation [is] from him.

Spiel is now over, thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs